Monday, June 7, 2010

God is good!

The past few days I have been so overwhelmed by the greatness of our God, so I just wanted to take the next few minutes to brag on my God! It is crazy to me how often I forget that the God whom I read about in the Bible, the One who parted the red sea and who rose people from the dead has not changed and that I have the wonderful privelege to serve this same God. I really had no idea what to expect before coming to Senegal, but part of me wondered if we would really be able to share the Gospel with that many people seeing as we didn't know anyone here before coming and that we would only be here for a month. And yet... God has given me the privelege to clearly present the Gospel on three different occasions! The first week we were here we went to the university not knowing anyone to just try to meet people and make friends. We were able to meet several people and get to know them. The other day Jen and I spend the afternoon with a girl named Thioro. She is an English student at the university and she is very open and searching. I was able to go through the entire Gospel with her! Please pray that she would come to know the Lord as her Savior. Then on Saturday we went to a preschool to play games with the children during a carnival that they had going on. While I was there I met a French girl who is here with Projects Abroad. I was able to talk to her for a little while and I really wanted to share the Gospel with her, but I wasn't sure how to start. I just prayed that God would present an opportunity and the next thing I knew she was telling me about how she thought it was rather ironic that the girl with whom she is staying does her prayers in front of nudity on tv. And from that I was able to ask her several questions about what she thought about Islam in general and what she believed. After she told me a little about what she believed she looked at me and asked "So what do you believe?" I was able to go through the whole Gospel with her and she is really searching. God is good! Today Jen and I met with a girl from the university named Zeyna. She was randomly sitting on a bench one day while we were actually waiting to meet with Thioro, so we went over to her to meet her and got her number. We felt a little awkward about meeting with her when we'd only spoken to her for fifteen minutes, but once again God worked everything out amazingly. We talked to her for a while about just surface things and once again I really wanted to share the Gospel with her, but I wasn't sure how to bring it about. I was thinking maybe this could just be an initial visit to get to know her and maybe we could share the Gospel with her another time, but I prayed God would give us an opportunity. I asked her what she enjoyed doing and she answered reading and then continued to tell me that she is in the middle of reading the Bible, and that she is reading the Gospel of Matthew! What a smack in the face. She then proceeded to tell us that she thinks she likes Christianity better an Islam thbecause it is easier. I was able to just go through the whole Gospel with her and tried to explain to her the differences between Christianity and Islam. God is so good. We are planning on getting together with her again sometime soon to talk more about it. God is still alive and at work in people's lives. I've been able to share the Gospel three times and all three people I have been able to talk to have been extremely open and even searching. It was such a good reminder, that God really does not need me.. in the least! I feel so humbled that He chooses to use us! Thank you for your prayers! Please pray in particular for these three girls: Thioro, Marie, and Zeyna that we would be good witnesses of Jesus Christ and that they may come to know Christ as their personal Savior.

1 comment:

  1. wow! praise the Lord!!! Alyssa, this is such exciting news; thanks for taking the time to add to the blog and for sharing these wonderful opportunities to share the Gospel. we will share the names of these 3 young ladies at prayer meeting tonight. we are sooo glad to know that you are ALL well (that is, the entire team) and to see God's hand directing you so clearly. we continue to pray for you; we love you; and we look forward to a first-hand report when you come back to France. we are so very proud of you! love ~ Dad

    ReplyDelete